Welcome to Phase 2 Autumn Term
During the autumn term, those of us in Years 3&4 will be following a unit of work on a theme which focuses on The Victorians. This unit will mainly have a History focus.
In History, we’ll be finding out:
- about the key events during The Victorian times. This will involve learning about the life of Queen Victoria and invention of steam power and other technological advances.
In Art andTechnology, we’ll be finding out:
- About the Victorian Art and Craft movement
In International, we’ll be:
- Exploring the British Empire.
In Science, we’ll be finding out:
- This is a standalone topic and the children will be learning about Light and Shadow.
We already know the interest you take in your child’s work. If you can, please discuss with your child the work they have done as the term progresses and let them teach you. If your child has some work to research, please help them, but without actually doing the work. If you have the chance to further their interest in the ideas of this theme please take it, but your enthusiasm and interest are most important.
In Literacy the main areas of learning will be:
- We will be using texts that lend themselves beautifully to diary writing, poetry and developing strong imagery in writing.
- Each week the children will also be looking comprehension and grammar.
In Numeracy the focus will be on:
- Developing their knowledge of place value and calculating further in line with age related expectations for their year group along with negative numbers and ordering numbers. Each week the children will also be working on arithmetic, times table knowledge and building their problem solving skills.
In Phase 2 homework will be given out on a Friday and is due in the following Friday.
Reading daily and practise all times tables with them every night. Your child should be fluent in all times tables by the end of year 4. Assist your child with their ‘Going for Gold’ times tables booklet.
Working with your child on Learning Log tasks when they are set.
Bug Club and Mathletics throughout the week.
PE kit must be brought to school and will remain in school for the half term.
- Top: Plain white, round neck T-shirt (no logo other than school’s)
- Bottoms: Plain black or blue shorts (no logo)
- Joggers and sweat tops can be brought in for outdoor games in colder weather.
- These items are best kept in a drawstring bag on your child’s peg.
Please note that failure to bring in homework and correct PE kit will result in detention.
The year 4 children will not be beginning swimming lessons until after the Christmas holidays. For then, girls will need a swimming costume. No bikinis are permitted for these lessons. Boys will need a pair of swimming trunks or a pair of swimming shorts. If wearing shorts however, they must be well above the knee.
Thank you for your continued support,
Mrs Wood Mr. Shiel, Miss Jenks
(Phase 2 Leader) (Y4 Class Teacher) (Year 3 class teacher)
(Year 3/4 Class Teacher)