Welcome to Phase 3 for Years 5 and 6.
During the autumn term, those of us in Phase 3 (Y5 and Y6) will be following a unit of work on a theme which focuses on ‘WW1’. This unit will mainly have a History focus.
In History, we’ll be finding out:
- About a key event in British History and with it being the hundredth anniversary of the end of the Great War, this will be our focus.
In Technology, we’ll be finding out:
- How to make bread and we will also look at how rationing had an impact on British life.
In International, we’ll be finding out:
- About how the war came happened and which countries were involved.
In Science, we’ll be finding out:
- This is a standalone topic and the children will be learning about Earth and Space.
In Literacy the main areas of learning will be:
- The whole class text being covered in Phase Three will be War Horse by Michael Morpurgo and this text lends itself beautifully to diary writing, poetry and developing strong imagery.
Each week the children will also be looking comprehension and grammar.
In Numeracy the focus will be on:
- Developing their knowledge of place value and calculating further in line with age related expectations for their year group along with negative numbers, decimals and ordering numbers. Each week the children will also be working on arithmetic, times table knowledge and building their problem solving skills.
We already know the interest you take in your child’s work. If you can, please discuss with
your child the work they have done as the term progresses and let them teach you.
If your child has some work to research, please help them, but without actually doing the
work. If you have the chance to further their interest in the ideas of this theme please take
it, but your enthusiasm and interest are most important.
Year 5/6 will be taught by Mrs. Singleton Monday to Thursday and by Mrs. Barr every Friday.
Supporting them with their homework: (Spelling, tables and grammar hammer)
In Phase three homework will be given out on a Friday and is due in the following Friday.
Read daily and practise all times tables with them every night. Your child should be fluent in all times tables by the end of year 4. Assist your child with their ‘Going for Gold’ times tables booklet.
Work with your child on Learning Log tasks when they are set.
Bug Club and Mathletics throughout the week.
PE kit must be brought to school by Monday 10th September and will remain in school for the half term.
- Top: Plain white, round neck T-shirt (no logo other than school’s)
- Bottoms: Plain black or blue shorts (no logo)
- Joggers and sweat tops can be brought in for outdoor games in colder weather.
These items are best kept in a drawstring bag on your child’s peg.
Please note that failure to bring in homework and correct PE kit will result in detention.
All of Phase 3 are taking part in Active Kids ‘Hip Hop’ workshops every Monday, please ensure they have an indoor P.E. kit for this each week.
Year 5-6 and Year 6 are also taking part in weekly cycling skills sessions.
Year 5 children are also undertaking their Bike Ability qualification.
Thank you for your continued support.